The following error message may be generated when attempting to install the MadgeTech USB drivers:
“This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator.”
This issue restricts users from running the default MadgeTech USB installer, even if the user has administrative privileges. MadgeTech is working on a seamless, permanent solution, but until this can be implemented a temporary workaround has been created that does not require changing UAC.
To install the MadgeTech USB drivers without changing User Access Control settings:
- Obtain the updated MadgeTech USB driver folder. The best method to obtain this folder will depend on which version of MadgeTech 4 is currently installed on the PC being updated. To determine the software version, check FileàOptionsàAbout in MadgeTech 4.
- For MadgeTech 4 versions 22.214.171.124 or later, than drivers can be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\MadgeTech\MadgeTech 4\Drivers
- For MadgeTech 4 versions 126.96.36.199 or earlier, click this link to download the USB driver folder. By default, the folder will be downloaded to “C:\Users\Your_User_Name\Downloads” Navigate to this folder, right click on it, and select “Extract All.” Use the extracted folder for the remaining steps.
- Open the folder from step 1, right-click on the “Run.bat” file and select “Run as administrator.”
- The”Windows Protected your PC” message may appear. If so, click on “More Info” link. A new button will appear at the bottom of this Window that says “Run Anyway.” Click the “Run Anyway” button.
- The normal installation procedure will begin. Click “Install.”
- When the installation process is complete, reboot the PC.