It is possible to calculate lethality values based on logged temperature data using the MadgeTech 4 software. MadgeTech 4 can calculate lethality using A0, F0, Fd, Fh, and Pasteurization Units (PU).
Lethality can be calculated in a statistics report, or by using a math channel (which allows the lethality value to be displayed as an additional line in a graph report). The instructions for calculating lethality using each of these methods are as follows:
Calculating Lethality in a Statistics Report:
- Locate the desired dataset in the “Files” panel.
- Right-click on the dataset and select “Add to new report->Statistics view.”
- Click “Add/Remove” in the “Statistics” group of the “Report” toolbar.
- In the “Manage statistics” menu, click “Add,” select the desired lethality calculation, and click “OK.”
- Adjust parameter values, if necessary.
- Click “Close.”
- A new column will be added to the statistics report, displaying the cumulative lethality value.
To include lethality values in a statistics report by default, go to File->Options->Reports and click the “Default statistics…” button. Then follow steps 4-6, above. The configured lethality value with then automatically appear in all newly generated statistics reports.
Calculating Lethality Using Math Channels:
- Double-click on the desired dataset in the “Files” panel to open the dataset as a graph report.
- Click on the “Math Channels” button in the “Report” toolbar.
- In the “Manage math channels” menu, click “Add,” select the desired lethality calculation, and click “OK.”
- If using a multichannel logger, select the logger channel that should be used for the lethality calculation in the “Channel” dropdown.
- Adjust the parameter values, if necessary.
- Click “Close.” The lethality value will be added as a math channel and displayed as a new line in the graph report.
Important Note on Cycle Detection
When lethality values are added to a report using math channels, they will automatically detect multiple lethality cycles in a single dataset. This is not the case for statistics reports. The support article “Cycle Detection for Lethality in MadgeTech 4” contains detailed information regarding lethality cycle detection.